Archaeology of Southern New Mexico
NMHC is working with partners at Blackwater Draw, Mescalero THPO, Isleta THPO, the BLM and other institutions to create a public-facing site that interprets the archaeological heritage of sites in the Permian project area, in the Carlsbad Field Office.
Grant Opportunity Opening in June
Archaeology education grant opportunity opening June 1 2022! Seeking tribal, nonprofit and/or academic institutions to develop and deliver, or share existing online programs and products with the goal of raising awareness about:
● people and places of the Permian Basin, as well as other southern New Mexico archaeological sites;
● archaeological ethics;
● current best practices;
● responsible recreation in archaeologically significant areas.
Partners would provide some digital materials to be shared on the website, which could include video, photographs, models, digitized documents, or audio. NMHC will give preference to institutions that conduct outreach and consultation with New Mexico’s tribal communities.
Partner projects will be evaluated according to the extent that they increase:
● public knowledge of archaeological and paleontological ethics and site etiquette;
● public appreciation and respect for cultural resources and Native Americans;
● professional and/or public knowledge and understanding of cultural resources; and
● opportunities for the public to positively engage with heritage resources.
These "quick grants" range between $500-$2500, and will be awarded in July 2022, with work to be completed and delivered by December 31, 2022. To get a notification when the opportunity opens, please contact project manager Ellen Dornan, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Political Advocacy Statement
To what extent does your proposed project project avoid advocacy, bias and calls for direct action?
Recipients and subrecipients may not use funds to:
• Promote a particular political, religious, or ideological point of view;
• Advocate for a particular program of political action; or
• Support specific public policies or legislation.