National History Day in New Mexico Contest Coordinator
22 Sep 2023
The New Mexico Humanities Council is seeking a detail-oriented person with excellent administrative skills to coordinate, promote, and conduct the state-level competition of National History Day in New Mexico (NHD) and at least three regional contests throughout the state.
NHD is a year-long academic program focused on historical research, interpretation, and creative expression for students in grades 6–12, culminating in a national competition held near Washington, D.C. NHD works with affiliate programs across the U.S. and abroad to implement its programs at the local level. NHD also supports teachers with supplemental resources and programs.
The New Mexico Humanities Council manages the NHD program in the state, offering professional development support for teachers, coaching and advice for students, and running the contests in compliance with NHD criteria.
The Contest Coordinator will report to the NMHC executive director. This term position is subject to funding through the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs, which is dependent upon annual appropriations through the New Mexico legislature.
- Coordinate, promote, and conduct the competitions of National History Day in New Mexico.
- Provide adequate support to New Mexico’s three Regional Coordinators and the state’s NHD Senior Advisor.
- Act as NMHC’s liaison with National History Day national office staff.
- Facilitate state winner attendance at national competition; attend the national competition as New Mexico’s representative.
- Facilitate local, regional, and statewide contest involvement; ensure that all competitions in the state are of high quality, are smoothly run, and treat all students fairly.
- Work with the Senior Advisor to provide resources for teachers, including online and in-person training.
- Work with the Senior Advisor and the NMHC Communications staff to provide press releases, social media content, and other timely information that promotes the program.
- Solicit and coordinate special awards for the state contest.
- Work with the NMHC Executive Director to develop a budget for the program and work to support the program within that budget.
- Provide all purchase orders and invoices for NHD related expenses such as payments to the regional coordinators, contest registrations from schools, etc.
- Develop student and teacher surveys to collect demographic information on participation as well as the impact the program has on student achievement.
- Work with the NM NHD Advisory Council to achieve goals in the NM NHD 5-year plan and refine the plan as needed.
- Collect and record for NMHC’s benefit in-kind donations of time and materials by third parties engaged in National History Day in New Mexico (judges, teachers, school administrators, volunteers, etc.).
- Ensure that NMHC maintains compliance with National History Day contractual obligations and the Department of Cultural Affairs contract.
- Manage data collection and archiving for NHD events and activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, history, or related field
- Superior organization skills and commitment to responsibilities
- Excellent communication skills
- Database management experience
- Financial management experience
- Ability to direct, execute, and manage initiatives
- Ability to engage co-workers with alacrity and equanimity
- Participation (as a student, teacher, judge, parent, or volunteer) with NHD or strong familiarity with the program
- Solid Communication and interpersonal skills
- Dependability and a strong work ethic
- Maturity and a professional attitude
- Adaptability and flexibility
Salary & Benefits:
- Pay based on education and experience
- Benefits include matching retirement package and stipend for purchase of other benefits
How to apply:
Please submit a resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in National History Day in New Mexico, the position, and your experience. Strong references will be required. Email materials by October 10, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Contest Coordinator.”
NMHC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.